Food and gastronomy in Provence and in Cannes play a tremendous part in the culture and daily life, from the fresh seafood markets to the abundance of locally grown fruit and vegetables. This huge Mediterranean region is widely renowned to offer healthy, flavoursome and colourful cuisine, as well as traditional dishes; take a look a some of Cannes's local dishes.
The cuisine of Provence is the result of the warm, dry Mediterranean climate; the rugged landscape, good for grazing sheep and goats, the abundance of seafood on the south coast and of course the 'black diamonds', truffles. The basic ingredients are olives and olive oil, garlic, lamb and goat, chickpeas, local fruits, such as grapes, peaches, apricots, strawberries, cherries, and the famous melons of Cavaillon.
- Beignets de Fleurs de Courgettes - Fried Courgette flowers
- Bouillabaisse - Traditional Provencal fish stew, originating from Marseille
- Calisson - A traditional French candy originating in Aix-en-Provence
- Daube - A traditional and hearty Provencal style beef stew
- Farcis Niçois - A traditional family meal made with the Spring & Summer vegetables
- Gateau des Rois - The Cake of Kings!
- Ice Tropez - a cocktail Made in Saint Tropez
- Pissaladiere - Caramelised onion & anchovy flatbread popular across Provence & the Cote d'Azur
- Ratatouille - Traditional vegetable stew from the Occitan region, a Provencal favourite
- Salade Niçoise - A delicious famous salad from the Côte d'Azur region of France
- Socca - Chickpea flour pancake, a delicious treat of a snack!
- Soupe au Pistou - Thick, rich Provencal vegetable & bean soup with basil dressing
- Tarte Tropezienne - The one & only creamy sponge cake from Saint Tropez
- Tourte de Blettes - Swiss chard tart - the chard being the main ingredient!
- More inspiration...