More than 11,000 runners set off from the iconic Promenade des Anglais in Nice on Sunday under a cloudy sky. The first to cross the finish line in Cannes was the Ethiopian athlete Abrah Milaw who broke the race's record with a time of two hours, seven minutes and 25 seconds.
Milaw arrived just before the Kenyans Nickson Kurgat (2:10:41) and Bernard Too (2:11:55). The previous Marathon des Alpes-Maritimes record was established by Lukas Kanda in 2011 at two hours, eight minutes and 40 seconds so Milaw broke it by 45 seconds.
Nurit Shimels, also from Ethiopia, was the female winner at two hours, 31 minutes and 54 seconds. Congratulations to all the runners!
More Cannes Insights...
- Cannes in October 2019 - 5 things to see & do
- Eat for free at gourmet restaurants in Cannes
- What's On in Cannes September 2019
- Beckhams see summer off in South of France
- Harry & Meghan holiday in the South of France
- Kylie's glamorous Cannes birthday