Set within the affluent residential area of Quartier de la Californie, is the pretty Church of Saint Michael the Archangel.
In 1848, Eugene-François Tripet arrived with his wife, the rich Russian heiress Alexandra Skrypitzine, to Cannes. In 1886, she ordered the construction of a small chapel inside their newly-built villa. Due to their promotion of the French Riviera among Russian aristocracy, the chapel quickly became too small and a church had to be erected.
The Russian community in Cannes donated land, money and goods, and the religious building was built in 1894 by architect Louis Nouveau based on traditional orthodox churches. The church has a distinctive roof adorned with blue domes and inside doesn't disappoint either. It is filled with pretty religious icons and gifts from several Russian artistocrats who have lived in Cannes
- 40 boulevard Alexandre III